Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Better Place

Wow. What's goin on yall? It's been an interesting day to say the least. So today was the three year anniversary of my dad's death. I always go to his grave and talk to him on that day. Today was no different. Except it kindof was. Here's why: I have realized as of lately that I have never really let go of the crap that I went though with my dad. I was talking to someone the other day and I finally realized that it was time to let go. Here is where it gets a little unique. So I'm sitting inside of the mausoleum in front of my mom and dad's plaque and I start talking to him. I start telling him everything that is going on in my life and then I started to talk about what happened between me and him. By now half of you are thinking "This kid is out of his mind"...o you aint read nothing yet. Anyway, I start almost screaming about how much he hurt me and then something inside of me just snapped. But it wasn't in a bad way. It was like I had been hammering through a four foot thick cement wall and I finally saw daylight. I suddenly just broke down in to tears and my angry yelling turned into a frantic acceptance for forgiveness. "I'm sorry! I forgive you! I forgive you! I'm not going to hold it over you anymore!"
All of a sudden I heard some music playing (Don't worry, I'm not THAT crazy) it was my iphone. As I reached in my pocket to turn it off, I realized that the song that had accidentally started playing was "God of Wonders" By Caedmen's Call. I just sat down and started listening. As I listened to the words of the song I started to quietly sing to myself, and before I knew it, I was singing out loud. So here I am, looking extra crazy, having a full blown worship service by myself in front of my parents' grave and I closed my eye only to literally see a film reel of every painful memory I had. As if that wasn't different enough, as one memory would come in front of me, it would burst into flames. When the song's final notes faded, the last thing I saw was a picture of me holding my dad's hand in the ICU. It was almost like it was in a picture frame. The frame had wings that looked like angels and it flew upward. As I opened up my eyes, I literally felt lighter. It was like all the stuff that had been holding me down was lifted off of me. I believe that God finally saw what he needed to see and lifted the burden off of my shoulders. Well that's my God story for the day.
Now here's my song for the day. "Better Place" by Corey Smith
This song is one of those that plenty of teenagers can relate to. By the way, if you have a teen, send them to this blog, I would really like to build a following of teenagers who continually read this blog. I love helping people and since i am a teenager, I feel like I can relate to them better. So if you are a mom, send your kids, and if you're a kid, send your friends. For many, high school is a time of pain, confusion, and heartbreak. We are all looking for a better place. We all turn to different outlets to help. For some it's girls or boys, for others it's alcohol, or drugs. Stay with me now, for many, we turn to healthy things like athletics, or art, or drama, but put an unhealthy emphasis on them. The only thing you can turn to and not be let down is God. Nothing is a surprise to him and nothing is to big for him to handle. I heard that plenty of times before I actually started believing it, but once I did, it begin to make a lot of sense. Thanx for reading.

Scotty

Better Place
Tasha's got a room at the county shelter
The cops took her there when her mama got hauled away
Little brother and her can't even stay together
She cries each night wondering why it's gotta be this way

And she says "I wish I was anyone but me"
Yeah she'd pack her life in a heartbeat for a little change of scenery

And she keeps looking for a better place
Somewhere she can wear a smile upon her face
A home to welcome with a warm embrace
There's no way to disguise her lonely eyes
Looking for a better place

Bobby's doing time in youth detention
Pulled a switch blade knife on some boy making fun at school
And all he wanted was a little attention
And a temporary escape from the ridicule
And now he's in real deep with the freaks and the criminals
And he wonders when his time is up if he'll know himself at all

And he keeps dreaming of a better place
Somewhere he can have a little room to make mistakes
A home to help him wash the past away
Oh he don't need too much, just a little love
In a better place
In a better place

Jamie's got a room in a 3-story brick home
Daddy makes a lotta money, mama keeps her laundry clean
And she's got a $200 Abercrombie outfit on
Drives a brand new car that she got when she turned 16
Still she spends every night getting high with her so-called friends
And she's dropping hundred dollar bills on quarterbags, says she's never coming down again

And she keeps looking for a better place
Failing to realize how good she's got it made
Her loving home, she don't appreciate
Oh it's crazy but it's true, she doesn't have a clue
She's living in a better place
In a better place

In a better place
We're all lookin for a better place

5 comments:

Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! said...

Amazing.

Jennifer said...

I am so glad you found some peace today. I am especially glad you wrote it down, so the next time the Enemy starts to let that yucky anger creep back in, you can go back and read this and be reminded that you & God have conquered this. It does not hold you captive. You are free! Don't forget it.

Amanda said...

Hey Scott,

It's Amanda, JMom's sister. She sent me a link to your blog and I have been hooked ever since. Keep writing, you are doing great!

Amanda

Jewelz said...

Wow! That is amazing! I'm so glad that happened for you. God bless.

Amba said...

Hey I'm Amber fr. Calgary and I came to your blog via jmom's blog, and I love reading what you have to say.. you explain things so well that its like hearing you talk.. at least what I imagine hearing you talk would be like lol... anyways you seem so real, I wish there were more people like you in this world. And I'm so glad you and God came to terms with this...

Amber

ps- I also really like how you include song lyrics that speak to u.......