Sunday, April 27, 2008

My Story

I was born in Atlanta on February 20th, 1990. I have been born in raised in this great city ever since. A month before my fourth birthday, my mom passed away from brain cancer. The doctors found the tumor three days prior to her death. From then on, it was me and my pops. For as long as I can recall, my dad always had a drink in his hand from about five o'clock on until he went to bed. I never really thought much of it as a smaller child. When it actually started clicking with me that the alcohol was what caused him to do some of the things he did, it still didn't really bother me. As an 8 or 9 year old kid, I really only saw the funny part of him drinking. My dad was usually HILARIOUS when he would drink.
However, when I was about 10 years old, I got my first taste of what the alcohol could really make someone do. I don't remember exactly what I did to provoke him...I doubt I did anything, but in any event, one night my dad came into the den and started yelling at me. I wasn't sure if he was serious or not at first but he kept yelling. I started crying and yelling back at him. I was mostly just yelling "Why are you yelling at me?" He tore into me. He called me every name he could think of. I eventually ran upstairs and locked my door.
From that night on, I never trusted my dad again. As time went on, his rants became more and more frequent. When I was 13, hit me for the first time. Popped me right in the face. That same night He told me he hated me and he wished I was dead. When he told me that he wished I was dead, I walked over to the butcher block in our kitchen to put his words to the test. And there I was at 13 years old, holding the biggest cleaver I could find up to my neck while looking my father right in the eyes. "do you really want me dead? Cause we can take care of that right now," I yelled through tears. My dad just looked at me. He didn't say a word. He just looked at me with a look of indifference on his face. I got what I was looking for, but not what I wanted or expected. I was looking for a reaction out of him. I wasn't expecting the reaction to be complete indifference to whether I lived or died. I was completely alone. I was empty. I can honestly say from that point on I hated my father.
Actually, I can honestly say there wasn't to much that I didn't hate. I hated my abusive drunk father. I hated my family for not knowing what I was going through (even though I never told them...I know, that makes no sense. welcome to the life of a 13 year old) I hated God for putting me in this life. I remember looking for the most hurtful things I could possibly say to my dad when we were arguing just so I could show him how I felt all the time. One comment come to mind: "I wish I was adopted". (keep reading if you wunna know why that one sticks out) I found God that summer. I thought that now that I was a Christian that God would straiten out my problems. BOY WAS I WRONG!
Things were as bad as ever when I was 14 and the crazy violent drunk came out of my dad more times than not at night. I was a handful at school and I finally managed to get into enough fights and pop off to enough teachers that I was thrown out. My (private) school made a deal with me that if I went to military school for 2 semesters, I could come back. I agreed not because i wanted to go back to my school but because i wanted to get the hell out of my dad's house. I went to a school about an hour and a half away from home and came home for the weekend twice from January-April. On April 28th 2005, My uncle showed up at the school one night during dinner with a look on his face that I will never be able to describe as long as I live. I understood why when he told me that my dad had a stroke...and a heart attack...and pneumonia...o yea, and he has lung cancer. The doctors found it all at the same time when he showed up and in the ambulance.
I fell to my knees. literally. I ran as hard as I could and I honestly couldn't tell you where I was going. But somehow I ended up at my uncles car and we began to head home. I arrived at the hospital to find my father a skeleton of his usual self. His speech was all but impossible to understand but I managed to make out most of what he was saying. That night was the first time I heard my father tell me that he loved me. I begged for him to forgive me for everything I said to him and he simply replied, "you did the best you could. I couldn't asked for a better son."
My Dad died 2 days later. I realized that I wasn't as alone as I thought I had been through his death. Why is that, you ask.
Well, other than the 450 kids that showed up to my dad's funeral, one of my teachers had gone to the hospital the night before my dad died and read the Bible to him for 2 hours. My dad was saved 12 hours before he died. Before you continue reading I want you to stop and really think about that...
I moved in with my Aunt and Uncle soon after and got the news that I had been accepted back into my old school a semester early. But there was still one piece of unfinished business that my Aunt and Uncle had to take care of before I began my life with them. On my fathers birthday, 3 weeks after his death, my aunt and uncle informed me that I WAS adopted. No, not by them. I was adopted by my not deceased parents when I was only 20 days old. I didn't know what to say. So I just got up and walked away. After a good amount of tears and even more questions that had no answers, I realized that I was where I was supposed to be and the fact that I was adopted didn't change who my family was. I thank God everyday to be where I am today. That is my story from birth to 15 years old. Ill post the rest later.

13 comments:

Deidre said...

Amazing testimony of God. One thing I know for sure - God will use your life for His glory if you let Him. I enjoyed your story. Welcome to 'blogland'. It's a great outlet and I look forward to reading more.

twiceasnice said...

Wow! You amaze me with your faith in God. I live in Texas with my twins, and will continue to pray for you as you journey to college and begin a life of your own. You are a gift from God, who doesn't make junk. He has made you in his image and great things will come from what you have to share. God bless you.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to reading more. It is obvious that God has been in control of your life all along.

Carolina Mama said...

Welcome Scotty and thanks for sharing! God will use your story. You know the first thing I thought of when you told about the 'cleaver' is how God spared your life that night! Bless you that you're with your sweet Aunt and Uncle. "He makes all things new." Stephen C. Chapman God Bless!Keep writing! p.s. and you can click the check mark when you're posting and it does spell check for ya. ;) but don't let spelling get in the way of what you have to say buddy!

Lisa said...

What a great testimony. Your faith and your outlook speaks volumes for the person that you are! You are blessed to have a great Aunt and Uncle on your side. I will pray for you and your journey!
Keep blogging, you have a great testimony and you will be able to help many people with your faith and your positive outlook!
I will be checking back!

Jewelz said...

Wow! That is amazing! I don't know what else to say but "Wow!"
Thankyou for sharing

georgiamom said...

Thank you so much for sharing your testimony. I will be praying for you as you continue on your journey with God. I can tell you are an amazing young man, and I know God has big plans for your life. I can't help but think of all the young people in similar situations that could benefit from hearing your story. Ask and God will use you to reach others for Him! Thank you again for sharing!

HW said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I look forward to checking in to learn the rest. I have a feeling you will be doing amazing things with your life.

Jenny said...

I came over from Lots of Scotts. You have endured many tough things in your life already. One great thing about God is that he doesn't waste our hurts. He will use them for good! You've obviously got some great people in your life with your aunt and uncle, and with Jmom and family. Keep sharing your story and how God is working in your life. God bless!

Joni said...

Clearly God has big plans for your life. Your testimony and your life will touch others in a way beyond your wildest imagination.

Paulette said...

This is an awesome testimony, and I am especially impressed that you share it so young,there are many kids your age who need to hear this because so many need to say it and can't.
I understand your testimony all too well, the pain of mean alcoholic parents and the devastation it causes. I can def relate and I am a grown woman.
God will use you, I pray you always seek God's will and your testimony will live on and make a huge difference. I am sorry you lost both parents so young.
I know God is proud of you!

KM said...

Wow. I have a story similar to yours...without being adopted myself.

However, I will tell you that my only child is adopted...and what a gift straight from Jesus. And I know by reading your heart...so are you.

I don't know what it's like to be adopted, suffer the loss of a parent, and abused by your parent...I do know what it's like to be a biological child of my abuser. Thank God today that we all are saved thru His grace...not by our deeds.

I am excited to read your story. What wonderful plans He has for your life.

Tonya Ingram said...

This is absolutely one of the best blogs I've read in a while. It's so heartfelt, honest and personal. Thanks for sharing and I cannot wait to read more about what God is doing in your life. Looks like you had a lot of fun at your cousin's house on Christmas! Write more soon.